Out of the trends discussed by Kelly, these receive a significant amount of “buzz”. They are discussed frequently on Twitter, referenced in NMC Horizon Reports and in EDUCAUSE publications.
- Competency-Based Education
- Virtual Reality (VR)
- Data Analytics and Machine Learning
Big Data, Data Analytics and Machine Learning has been a focus for me these past few weeks due to our group assignment and Twitter educhat channels are abuzz with analytics. Analytics, data and data analysis are the big trends in many disciplines (education, higher ed institutions, cultural institutions, marketing, etc.).
Accessibility has been legislated in several provinces, including Manitoba, brining it to the forefront.
- Internet of Things (IoT) – 50 billion IoT devices by 2020
- Adaptive Learning Technologies (deeply linked to Data Analytics and Machine Learning)
- Artificial Intelligence (Machine Learning is an example of AI)
- Deep Learning (3rd gen Machine Learning the learns without being explicitly programmed)
- Next Gen LMS
- mLearning (mobile is ubiquitous)
- Open Learning Frameworks, Tools, Technologies and Environments