Tips for Managing Your Online Presence
Effective use of Social Media
- Create accounts to start your alone presence and build your personal brand. A lack of online presence can have negative effects.
- Generate postive content and be active.
- Follow professionals and institutions in your field to stay up to date and create a positive, online persona.
Professional Online Presence
- Create personal and professional social media accounts to keep your personal and professional lives separate
- Create an online portfolio to display your work for potential employers and school recruiters. You can use Weekly, WordPress, Blogger, Tumblr, etc.
- Set up a LinkedIn account for your professional life.
- Do not post negative comments about your past of present employer.
- Exclude important personal information from social media profiles
- Manage your privacy settings so only your friends can see what you post, but also knowing that not everything online will ever really be private
- Remove any tags on any photos you find unflattering and inappropriate
- Assume anything you post will be available online forever. So don’t post anything inappropriate. If you do, delete it.
- Check your mobile phones privacy settings. GPS apps, such as Google Maps, track your location and every move. http://www.anonews.co/google-maps-snooping/
- Use complex passwords. The most popular password in 2013 was “123456” followed closely by “password”. Avoid words that people can easily associate with you, such as using personal names, birthdates and your telephone number. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jan/22/your-password-is-easy-to-crack
- Use multiple passwords to prevent cracking of all of your accounts.
- Protect your online passwords and strengthen them. https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/may/21/how-create-perfect-password-hackers-online-accounts-safe
- Only friend people you know on Facebook. Digital identity theft can occur if you “friend” a fake persona. Scammers will mine your profile for personal information and photos and create fake profiles using your identity.
This has happened to Alec Couros over 50 times:
- Use secure http (http:) sites with encryption for online payments not insecure http (http:) sites
Managing Your Online Presence. Student Affairs, Penn State. Retrieved from: https://studentaffairs.psu.edu/career/pdf/CG/CG_Online_Presence.pdf
Manage Your Online Presence. The Career Center, DePaul University. Retrieved from: http://careercenter.depaul.edu/networking/onlinepresence.aspx
Manage Your Online Presence. Washington & Lee University School of Law Library and Law Technology. Retrieved from: http://www.law.wlu.edu/library/documents/researchguides/studentwebpresence.pdf
Ten Ways to Protect Your Online Identity. Utica College. Retrieved from: http://programs.online.utica.edu/articles/TenWaysToProtectYourIdentity